5/26/23, 9am: Compute Intensive desktop is unavailable
The Compute Instensive AWS server is unavailable. You can see a list of the applications affected in the Fleet/desktop lists below. We will update this page when the issue is resolved. Thank you for your patience. Contact the LTS Help Desk with any questions.
Important! Set up Kumo to access your files/documents
Set up Kumo to add network storage options (Google Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive) to your LUapps desktop. Scroll to see common LUapps questions. Faculty can submit request for JupyterLab/RStudio environments via this form.
Feedback on this new page? Email helpdesk at lehigh.edu!
Alphabetical list of applications
- Abaqus Abaqus
- AD Active Directory
- RISA ADAPT-Builder 22 ADAPT-Builder
- RISA ADAPT-PTRC 22 ADAPT-PTRC
- Anaconda Anaconda
- Ansys Ansys
- Ansys Fluent Ansys Fluent
- AppXtender Web Access (opentext applicationxtender) AppXtender
- ArcGIS ArcGIS
- Arena Arena
- Argos Argos
- Argos DAR Argos DAR
- Argus Enterprise Argus Enterprise
- Aspen Aspen
- Autodesk (AutoCAD) Autodesk
- Bitvise SSH Client Bitvise
- Cadence Cadence
- ChemOffice ChemOffice
- Chromas Chromas
- Comsol Comsol
- Desktop Finance administrative Desktop Finance
- DNA Baser DNA Baser
- Ellucian (Banner) administrative Ellucian (Banner)
- ENVI ENVI
- eQuest eQuest
- ESA SNAP ESA SNAP
- ETABS ETABS
- Fiji Fiji
- Gaussian Gaussian
- Google Earth Pro Google Earth Pro
- Granta Edupack Granta Edupack
- HLM HLM
- IBM Amos IBM Amos
- IBM SSPS statistics IBM SSPS
- IDEA IDEA
- LabView LabView
- Mega Mega
- Maple mathematics Maple
- Mathcad Prime mathematics Mathcad Prime
- Mathematica mathematics Mathematica
- Matlab mathematics Matlab
- Microsoft Office (MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access) MS Office
- NetBeans java programming NetBeans
- NVivo NVivo
- R statistics R
- Regard 3D Regard 3D
- Rhino Rhino
- RStudio programming RStudio
- SAFE SAFE
- Salesforce Dataloader Salesforce
- SAP Business SAP Business
- SAP2000 SAP2000
- SAS statistics SAS
- Solidworks Solidworks
- SQL Developer SQL Developer
- STK STK
- Stata statistics Stata
- Stereonet Stereonet
- SuperPro Designer SuperPro Designer
- Tesselation Tesselation
- Thermocalc (Thermo-Calc) Thermocalc
- uAchieve uAchieve
- ZEN Blue Edition ZEN Blue Edition
List of apps by Desktop (Fleet)
Common has a black background and is available at go.lehigh.edu/awscommon
Anaconda ✦ Arena ✦ Argus Enterprise ✦ Cadence ✦ Granta EduPack ✦ IBM Amos ✦ IBM SPSS ✦ LabVIEW ✦ Maple ✦ Mathematica ✦ MS Office ✦ NetBeans ✦ NVivo ✦ R ✦ RStudio ✦ Rhino ✦ SAP Business ✦ SAS ✦ Stata
Specialized has a blue background and is available at go.lehigh.edu/awsspecial
ChemOffice ✦ Chromas ✦ DNA Baser ✦ eQUEST ✦ ESA SNAP ✦ Fiji ✦ Gaussian ✦ HLM ✦ IDEA ✦ MEGA ✦ MS Office ✦ Regard 3D ✦ Stereonet ✦ SuperPro Designer ✦ Tesselation ✦ Thermocalc ✦ ZEN Blue EditionChemOffice ✦ Chromas ✦ DNA Baser ✦ eQUEST ✦ ESA SNAP ✦ Fiji ✦ HLM ✦ IDEA ✦ MEGA ✦ MS Office ✦ Regard 3D ✦ Stereonet ✦ SuperPro Designer ✦ Tesselation ✦ Thermocalc ✦ ZEN Blue Edition
Compute Intensive (purple desktop) is available at go.lehigh.edu/awscompute
Aspen ✦ Comsol (Group access controlled, reserved for specific courses) ✦ Mathcad Prime ✦ Matlab
Graphics Intensive (green desktop) is available at go.lehigh.edu/awsgraphics
Abaqus ✦ ArcGIS Desktop ✦ ArcGIS Pro ✦ Autodesk ✦ ENVI ✦ Google Earth Pro
Graphics Intensive II (green plaid desktop) is available at go.lehigh.edu/awsgraphicsp
Ansys ✦ ETABS ✦ RISA ADAPT-Builder 22 ✦ RISA ADAPT-PTRC 22 ✦ SAFE ✦ SAP2000 ✦ Solidworks ✦ STK
Administrative/Banner h(brown desktop) is available at go.lehigh.edu/awsadmin
MS Office Suite ✦ AD Users and Computers ✦ Argos ✦ Argos DAR ✦ Bitvise SSH Client ✦ Ellucian (Banner) cloud environment ✦ EMX AppXtender ✦ Desktop Finance ✦ Salesforce Dataloader ✦ SQL Developer ✦ uAchieve
Top Ten Questions about LUapps
LUapps powered by AWS and uses Amazon's AppStream to provide Lehigh students, faculty, and staff with virtualized software for academic and administrative productivity. Six available on-demand environments provide an enhanced user-experience right from within the web browser. LUapps AWS environment went live in January 2023. Prior to that LUapps used Citrix, which is now out of production. Please note: LUapps system maintenance is performed on Wednesday mornings between 6am-8am.
We strongly recommend that use Kumo to connect your Google Drive, Dropbox, and other cloud storage plantforms to LUapps. Follow the Kumo Setup Instructions. Google Drive files can alternatively be accessed by clicking on "My Files" in the AppStream toolbar, selecting "Add Storage," and then logging into your Lehigh University Google Account.
You can use LUapps just like a standard desktop. To work with Course SIte files...
- Within LUapps, open Google Chrome and navigate to coursesite.lehigh.edu.
- Find your course and assignment.
- Download your assignment to the desired drive location (H: drive, Google Drive, Dropbox, etc.).
- When you open the application you need, you can navigate to your assignment file from within the application.
- Always save and check your file in the designated drive you've selected, and make sure the date/time stamp is correct.
Within your application, print your output to the printer named "DCV Printer." This will cause a new web browser tab to open on your local computer, where you will be able to print as usual.
If upon sign-in you see the message "no streaming resources are available for your session," it means that at the time you tried to sign in, all available AWS sessions were currently in use by other users. This is the equivalent of walking into a physical computer lab and finding all computers currently in-use. AWS will be aware of your attempt to sign in, and will begin preparing additional resources, a process that takes 15-20 minutes. Wait patiently and then click RETRY. Faculty are strongly encouraged to contact LTS in advance if a large group of students (ten or more) will need simultaneous access to LUapps for a lab, class, etc. This will allow sufficient resources to be provisioned in advance and best improve the student experience. Submit a request or contact the LTS Help Desk for assistance.
Many users will prefer to use programs on AppStream in "Full Screen" mode. However, if the user enters full-screen mode by clicking the corresponding symbol on the AppStream Toolbar, then the "Esc" key will exit out of full-screen mode. This may be undesirable as the "Esc" key is commonly used in different programs. There are workarounds for this for users on both Windows and Mac computers.
Windows: Enter full-screen mode using the button on the AppStream toolbar, then exit using the "F11" key instead of "Esc". Pressing "F11" a second time will then bring the window back to full-screen, but "Esc" will not exit this view. The AppStream toolbar will remain at the top of the window, but the browser UI will be hidden.
Mac: Use the green "Maximize" button to enter full-screen mode. The AppStream toolbar will remain at the top of the window, but "Esc" will not exit full-screen mode.
To maximize performance you can follow these steps:
- save/copy/load the files you are working on to Desktop.
- IMPORTANT. When you are finished working, move those files to a permanent storage location. Files are NOT SAVED within LUapps and are deleted as soon the session is disconnected.
- Before you log out, double check the network drive location (H: drive, Google Drive, Dropbox, etc.) to make sure your up-to-date files are there. It is imperative that you transfer your saved files elsewhere before you end your session.
Faculty are strongly encouraged to contact LTS in advance if a large group of students will need simultaneous access to LUapps for a lab, class, etc. This will allow sufficient resources to be provisioned in advance and best improve the student experience. Submit a request or contact the LTS Help Desk for assistance. Faculty can submit request for JupyterLab/RStudio environments via this form.
Your connection can be idle for two hours. After that it is disconnected. The maximum session length (idle or active) is 12 hours.
See this additional resource/FAQ for more specialized questions.