Stata is now available in a virtual environment. It can be run on- or off-campus. Follow these steps to install and configure VMware Horizon Client and VPN, and to access Stata and manage files from your computer.
1. If you don't already have it, install VPN, which is required to access the Virtual Site from off-campus, as well as to access the download link in the next prerequisite.
2. Install VMware Horizon Client (to access the Virtual Site). Note: It's best to run the most current version of the VMware client. If you haven't installed it recently, LTS advises you upgrade (you can run the installer over-top your previous installation. There is no need to uninstall your older version first.)
If you see this prompt, Do you want to share your removable storage and local files when using remote desktops and applications?, click Allow.
It's important to allow sharing of your local computer files and folders when working in a virtual environment. Default local file/folder locations refer to the virtual site itself, NOT your own computer! If you exit the virtual site with files saved to the default VS locations, YOU WILL LOSE YOUR WORK!
If you don't get this prompt, follow the instructions in the next step to configure local sharing or to manually open the sharing settings.
(1) If you did not receive the prompt as shown in the previous step, click the gear icon to open the VMware Horizon Client configuration window.
(2) Click Sharing.
(3) Check boxes for either Share your local files or Allow access to removable storage (or both).
(4) If you want to add another or different location, click Add.
(5) Click Apply.
When working with files, always choose from the local or network locations you added, never "This computer," which refers to the Virtual Site itself.
Any data you save to your virtual application folder(s) will be erased after you close out of the application.
There is no way to retrieve these files after they have been erased.
Always look for the location you added/chose in the previous step when you open or save files.
Library & Technology Services
8A East Packer Ave,
Bethlehem, PA 18015
Lehigh University provides a leading-edge library and technology environment that enables flexibility, innovation, and effectiveness in all areas of the academic enterprise, including learning and the student experience, research, administration, community-building and outreach.
27 Memorial Drive West, Bethlehem, PA 18015