Library and Technology Services (LTS) provides computing support and training for faculty, staff, and students. The LTS Help Desk and computing consultants provide support and training on the effective and efficient use of desktop and laptop computers, phones and mobile devices, network connectivity, peripherals, software, and operating systems and Lehigh owned software applications. This policy provides guidelines, parameters, and information for users who request or obtain computing support services from Library and Technology Services.
This policy is intended to:
- Outline the proper workflow for faculty, staff, and students requesting support services
- Define the parameters for the support of obsolete hardware, operating systems, applications, and peripherals
- Provide standards for the support of obsolete or non Lehigh standard applications
- Define limitations for computing support requests (no travel to homes, no moving of offices computers, etc.)
- Define the parameters for synchronous and asynchronous training of standard Lehigh applications and custom software requests.
2.0 Audience & Scope
This policy applies to all the faculty, staff, students and all other affiliated parties who request computing support services through Library and Technology Services. This applies to services requested through the LTS Help Desk, computing consultants, librarians, instructional technologists, or other LTS staff. Library and Technology Services provides the university community with computing support services to support instruction and academics, research, community outreach, athletics, and university administration.
Library and Technology Services seeks to maximize the efficiency and effectiveness of its computing support operation. All Lehigh University faculty and staff and affiliates should follow the guidelines below when seeking computing support services.
3.1 Requesting Computing Support Services
To request technical help from LTS, please enter a request at http://www.lehigh.edu/help or for immediate assistance please contact the LTS Help Desk.
- Tier 1 - The LTS Help Desk has consultants who can address a broad range of computing, networking, and technology issues, including some tier 2 (specialized) assistance. Issues will be escalated to other support areas when necessary.
- Tier 2 - Departmental Computing Consultants offer in-depth, specialized assistance, including consultation, training, and desk-side support.
- Classroom and LTS computing site support may be requested at http://www.lehigh.edu/help by selecting “Classroom Technology Help.”
The LTS Help Desk is staffed with consultants during regular business hours and also evenings and weekends (see link for details): https://library.lehigh.edu/about/hours-and-locations. Faculty, staff, and students are encouraged to contact the Help Desk as the first contact for questions regarding a computing problem.
3.2 Hardware, Operating, and Software Support Standards
Up to date computing hardware, peripherals, and software are critical to the productivity of faculty, staff, and students.
3.2.1 Support for outdated hardware (see section 3.4 - computing support parameters) and software is hindered by compatibility and system performance issues.
3.2.2 LTS will support two versions of licensed software so long as there are no security vulnerabilities in older versions of software.
3.2.3 LTS follows the support of old Operating Systems per manufacturer support and recommendations. If patches and security updates are no longer provided, LTS no longer supports those versions.
3.3 Standards and Support for Lehigh-owned devices
LTS strives to create and maintain an efficient, effective, and safe computing environment. In order to do this, the University must standardize the use of various enterprise software, platforms, and systems.
3.4 Computing Support Parameters
To protect the university and the LTS staff member performing the computing support work, staff are unable to:
- Travel to private residences to perform work
- Move desktop computers, monitors, and peripherals from one location to another (facilities services can perform these duties)
In order to support the greatest number of clients in the most efficient manner possible, LTS Client Services provides support services for hardware meeting the following age criteria:
|Device Type||Recommended Replacement Interval||Maximum Supported Age||Notes|
|Desktop Computers||Every 4 years||6 Years (72 Months)|
|Laptop Computers (includes docking stations)||Every 4 years||5 Years (60 Months)|
|Classroom Computers (imaged by LTS)||Every 4 years||4 Years (48 Months)|
|Monitors||Every 4 years||6 Years (72 Months)|
|Peripheral Devices (printers, scanners, etc.)||Every 6 years||6 Years (72 Months)|
|Smartphones & Tablets||Every 3 years||4 Years (48 Months)|
3.5 Application Training Seminars and Requests
Library and Technology Services offers regular training sessions for a variety of standard and cloud based software applications. These seminars are free for the campus community and can be accessed online or in the classroom environment. Registration is required for regular training session. Specialized custom software training for groups/departments is available. This can be arranged through your departmental computing consultant.
- Synchronous and asynchronous training of standard Lehigh applications. Training will be offered live via an online meeting/collaboration tool at specific times. These training sessions will be recorded and made available on the LTS webpages for a period of 3 months.
LTS will consider exceptions to the parameters of this policy, based on the need and in the best interest of the University. Providing the exception request does not jeopardize security of the Universities current network or computing environment. Any exception request should be initially requested through your department computing consultant.
The Chief Technology Officer, Managers and Helpdesk will help with enforce the policy.
7.0 Reference Documents
Computing Overview - https://lts.lehigh.edu/services/explanation/lts-computer-support-overview
Computing Support Team - https://lts.lehigh.edu/about/computing-distributed-support-services
8.0 Additional Contacts
|LTS Assistant Director for Computing and COH Interim Manager||Gale Fritschefirstname.lastname@example.org|
|LTS Assistant Director of Student and General Services||Stacey Kimmel-Smithemail@example.com|
|College of Arts and Sciences Team Manager||Bill Bettermannfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|College of Engineering and Applied Sciences Team Manager||Brad Priceemail@example.com|
|College of Business Team Manager||Mark Scottfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|College of Education Manager||Denise Campionemail@example.com|
|Endpoint Engineering and Administration Team Manager||Steve Lewisfirstname.lastname@example.org|