Help Desk Student Consultants assist library and computing users in solving problems and finding information. They work at service desks in LTS facilities and answer phone and in-person questions about a wide range of topics related to computing, technology, library collections, and other Lehigh services.
Library & Technology Services (LTS), Help Desk Student Consultant
Wage (limited) and Work Study (preferred)
$9.00/hour starting pay / Level III Work Study
Student Consultants assist library and computing users in solving problems and finding information. They work at service desks at LTS facilities and answer phone and in-person questions about technology (computing hardware/software and telecommunications); searching library databases and the Internet; and use of the Library resources. While training in library and computing skills is provided, strong communication, customer service, and technology skills are preferred. Students in all majors are welcome to apply. Duties include, but are not limited to
- Providing technical and computing support for Lehigh University faculty, staff, and students
- Providing library and information-literacy support for Lehigh University faculty, staff, and students
- Recording work done and assigning work to LTS staff via our ticketing system, Jira
- Showing up for your scheduled shifts, arranging coverage for shifts you cannot cover
- Dependability and a sense of responsibility
- The desire to learn new technology and library skills
- Ability to display and maintain patience, courtesy, and professionalism
- Ability to work scheduled hours on a weekly basis at more than one location on campus
- Good oral and written communication skills, strong interpersonal skills
- Preference may be given to those who already have previous experience with the Lehigh environment although all applicants are considered
Successful applicants should plan to attend training prior to being scheduled as well as mandatory meetings or training sessions throughout the semester. This position also requires a good deal of self-training so you must be ready and willing to learn on your own.
If you are interested in working at the Help Desk as a Student Consultant, you can apply via Lehigh's career management platform, Handshake: https://lehigh.joinhandshake.com/login. After logging in, search for "Help Desk Student Consultant". There will be two positions posted: one for work study and one for wage.