Data Owner Lehigh University is the owner of all university data. No single person or department within the institution "owns" university data; however, departments within the University have policy level and operational level responsibility for subsets of university data.
Data Stewards are designated senior University officials who have planning and policy-level responsibilities for data in their functional areas. Data stewards or their designees are responsible for recommending policies, and establishing procedures and guidelines concerning the accuracy, privacy, and integrity of the data subsets for which they are responsible. The responsibilities of the Data Stewards are as follows:
- Overall responsibility for the data subsets managed by their reporting units. In certain cases the same data element could exist in more than one data subset (and stem). For example, social security number is used in the financial, human resources and student system. In this case, social security number is considered to have more than one steward.
- Resolve data access or definition issues involving data elements which exist in multiple data subsets across stems.
- Interpret and implement state and federal policies and guidelines that affect data subsets within their functional areas.
- Identify the access type (public, internal, or internal and sensitive) for each data element within the data subsets managed by their reporting units.
- Establish authorization procedures to facilitate appropriate data access as defined by campus data policy and ensure data security for data within their functional area.
- Review and approval of requests for access by other University users to their data subsets, as defined by campus data policy.
- Determine the type of access given to University users for the data subsets within their area of responsibility.
- Assure compliance with data access security standards, particularly in training users and adhering to campus data policies and federal regulations regarding the responsible use of and access to data.
- Provide data definitions for each data element for which responsibility is assumed. Managers will be responsible for guidance and assistance in appropriate interpretation of their data subsets.
Data Managers are University officials and their staff who have operational-level responsibility (collection, maintenance and dissemination) for data in their functional areas. The responsibilities of data managers are as follows:
Data Users are individuals who have been granted access to institutional data in order to perform assigned duties or in fulfillment of assigned roles or functions within the University. Data users share responsibility in helping Data Stewards and Data Managers protect and manage data.
- The Data Stewards and Data Managers for the Banner functional areas are:
|Functional Area||Data Steward(s)||Data Manager(s)|
|Admissions - Graduate||Jennifer O'Brien-Knotts||Jennifer O'Brien-Knotts; Gary Burgess|
|Admissions - Undergraduate||Bruce D. Bunnick||Jennifer O'Brien-Knotts; Julian Kluk|
|Development & Alumni Relations||Sean Shappell*||Sean Shappell*|
|Financial Aid||Jennifer Mertz||Jennifer O'Brien-Knotts; Nick Shimmel|
|Finance - Accounts Payable||Steven Crouch*||Theresa Lincoln|
|Finance - Capital Asset Accounting||Steven Crouch*||Todd Murray|
|Finance - Budget||Jim Quinn||Mike Weaver|
|Finance - Endowment||Steven Crouch*||Steven Crouch*|
|Finance - General||Steven Crouch*||Theresa Lincoln|
|Finance - General/HR||Steven Crouch*||Steven Crouch*|
|Finance - Grants||Steven Crouch*||Dominic Wallitsch|
|Finance - Proposals||Susan Disidore||Susan Disidore|
|Finance - Purchasing||Mark Ironside||Jane Altemose|
|General||Erica Gluszynski||Erica Gluszynski|
|Human Resources/Payroll||Chris Samuel-Maynard*; Steven Crouch*||Chris Samuel-Maynard; Todd Murray|
|Institutional Research||Yenny Anderson*||Yenny Anderson*|
|Student||Allen Taylor*||Linda Bell,
|Student - Billing||Ingrid Green||Regina McCormick|
|Student - Faculty||vacant||Jennifer O'Brien-Knotts|
* - voting members