Canned messages are message templates that can be used to generate replies quickly. Examples of canned messages might be sending a thank you to people who offer feedback; providing directions to your facility; explaining a policy that people frequently inquire about.
To set up canned messages:
- Go to the Gear icon , select Settings, and go to the Labs section.
- Enable the Canned Message feature.
To use a canned message:
- Start a new mail message by clicking on the Compose button.
- Create your message as usual (the sender and attachments are not saved as part of the message).
- Click on Canned responses.
- Click on New Canned response and enter a name.
- Next time you need to send a canned message this canned message will appear as an option under Canned messages.
- You can incorporate a canned message into a filter. For example, if you want all messages submitted to feedback_LTS@lehigh.edu to receive an automatic thank you, create a filter for that email sender, and specify the canned response to send back to them automatically.
- If you want to make part of the canned message an attachment, unfortunately Gmail does not presently support that specific feature. You can, however, upload the attachments into Google Drive, make them available for viewing (for those with the direct link), and paste the URLs into the canned message.