Archiving lets you tidy up your inbox by removing messages from your view without deleting them. It's like moving something into an out-of-the-way filing cabinet for safekeeping, rather than putting it in the trash can. Any message you've archived can be found by searching for All Mail in the dropdown search menu, or by clicking on the All Mail label on the left side of your Gmail page. You can also find a message you've archived by clicking on any other labels you've applied to it or by searching for it. To search the archive, select All Mail from the search dropdown menu or enter label:all in the main search box. When someone responds to a message you've archived, the conversation containing that message will reappear in your inbox.
- In your inbox, select the message by checking the box next to the sender's name.
- Click the Archive button in the toolbar above your message list .
- If you have a message open, you can also archive it by clicking the Archive button above the message.
To move a message back into the inbox (out of the archive):
- Click All Mail. (If you don't see All Mail along the left side of your Gmail page, click the More drop-down menu at the bottom of your labels list.)
- Check the box next to the sender's name.
- Click the Move to Inbox button.
To automatically archive messages after sending a reply:
- Click the gear icon and choose Settings.
- Locate the Send and Archive setting and choose the option you prefer.
- Click Save Changes at the bottom of the page.
Once you enable the setting, you'll see a new button at the bottom of the page when you reply to messages. When you're done writing, click Send & Archive to send the reply and archive the previous message in one step, or click Send to send your reply but leave the original message in your inbox.
All Mail is your archive, a storage place for all the mail you've ever sent or received, but have not deleted.
You can see a list of archived messages by clicking All Mail. If the All Mail link is not visible by default in your inbox, click on the More dropdown menu under your Labels list to visualize it. Archived messages are also available by searching, and under any assigned labels.
To archive mail:
- Select the message(s) you'd like to archive by checking the box(es) next to the sender's name.
- Click Archive at the top of your inbox.
You also can archive mail after you open it -- just click Archive along the top of the inbox.
To search for email only in All Mail:
- Type the following string into the search bar in Gmail: has:nouserlables -in:inbox -in:sent -in:drafts -in:chat
- You can add additional criteria to the string to find specific items i.e. has:nouserlables -in:inbox -in:sent -in:drafts -in:chat lts news